About Me

My photo
Back Road Whispers is a fanciful name for just liking to travel the back roads of the world, wondering what whispers are lingering in the weathered buildings, rusty farm equipment and closed and boarded up businesses. I stop when I am able and “photograph the past for the future” so my grandchildren and their grandchildren will see what it was like back in the “good old days” of the 20th and early 21st century. Lately I have been exploring the world listening to whispers from palaces, castles, villages, and museums. The whispers need no interpretation.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

All Aboard!!!

All Aboard!!!

The Bluebonnet Festival in Burnet was going on, so Pat and I jumped on board the Hill Country Flyer, operated by the Austin Steam Train Association with all volunteers, and took off for a day of fun, shopping and getting sick on cheesecake.

We got there early and still was way way far from the train.  Our coach volunteer said there were 500 on board, and I think we were 476  and 477 in line.  We did have reserved seats so it was fine.



This looks promising!



Getting loaded...in a Saturday morning kind of way, not a Saturday night kind of way....





















Didn't even make it out of the rail yard before I found me plenty of rust....good omen of things to come I hope.  Disclaimer here:  I don't have image stabilization lenses, the train was moving, the views were split second drive by shots, and some were taken across the aisle between a couple and out their window.  So they may be a little fuzzier than normal....use your imagination.











Just some random shots taken as we traveled to Burnet from Cedar Park.







Sometimes we had fields, sometimes highways, and sometimes solid rock walls to view.  It was relaxing, there was water, tea, snacks and fruit for our enjoyment, and of course good company.







































We spooked a couple of deer on the way...poor things were scared but fun to watch.







Sorry the pictures aren't any better...back to the disclaimer.

The festival was well attended.  The parade seemed pretty comprehensive and fun, but we had sped off to Tea-Licious for lunch before the crowds descended on it and just saw bits and pieces through the window and through the crowds gathered outside. 

After a yummy lunch we headed out to enjoy the festival and popping into a couple of antique stores.  I did find a couple of additions to the Marti collection, and got Scott a bracelet and some cookies.  The biggest mistake was going for frozen chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick.  Pat and I passed it back and forth and still we threw half away it was so huge. 

This is what we were elbowing our way though...



including these two little cuties.  My new granddaughter grew up with a black pug and my grandson gave her a blonde pug for a wedding present.  So when I saw these two I just had to ask the lady if I could take a picture for Kristin.



We walked around looking at the various vendor booths, got that cheesecake on a stick, sat and rested a bit talking to a lovely lady from the train, and looked around the midway.








Brief mention of an idiot on board one of these ferris wheel cars....he though it was funny to throw a full water bottle to the ground.  Fortunately it missed the infant asleep in the stroller by a couple of feet.  Luckily for the person throwing the bottle the baby's daddy wasn't able to pinpoint who it was, he was not amused.












Of course there had to be a Texas sized Bluebonnet.   Had to hurry and snap this one, people were in line to get there picture taken in front of it.  







We went on our own little home tour for a block. 











The Verandas is a guest house that dates back to 1856 when it was a stagecoach stop.  See the rock work between the light blue door and the rocking chairs?  That is the original hand-dug well that was there for the guests, travelers and the stagecoach horses.  Pretty cool.











Across the street from The Verandas was a private home on the corner.  I couldn't tell you if the home was studded with diamonds, a ramshackle shack, or a regular ole house because I stopped looking when I got to the tree and the flowers.  Just gorgeous!







As much fun as the festival was it soon became time to head back to the car.  I liked the lines of the car so grabbed this picture.



More random shots on the way home...we were on the opposite side of the tracks this time so got a couple of different shots than on the way up.

Buildings...







Horses




The other side of the San Gabriel



More Bluebonnets and fields....





A horizon.  I wish the camera could have picked out allt he different shades of green in the picture.



A bit more water....






 
And of course more rust, including a Toy Box!  Oh how I  would love to play in that rust ...



















As always with my days out with Pat, it ended too soon.  Thanks, friend, it was wonderful!



The beginning and the end....


So until next time I head around the bend...listen for those whispers, they are your link to the past.






1 comment:

  1. What a great train ride through Texas hill country, Becci. I enjoyed it immensely. Now I see where the beautiful blooms came from when you posted them on The Bug. I especially loved the picture of the whimsical bluebonnet! Of course all of your pictures are mahvalus, dahlin!

    ReplyDelete