About Me

My photo
Back Road Whispers is a fanciful name for just liking to travel the back roads of the world, wondering what whispers are lingering in the weathered buildings, rusty farm equipment and closed and boarded up businesses. I stop when I am able and “photograph the past for the future” so my grandchildren and their grandchildren will see what it was like back in the “good old days” of the 20th and early 21st century. Lately I have been exploring the world listening to whispers from palaces, castles, villages, and museums. The whispers need no interpretation.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Victory at Sea - Sault Ste. Marie

LOCKED IN SAULT STE. MARIE



Just when we thought we were going to go solo a tour boat snuck in behind us...oh well I guess we have enough water to share.



Unfortunately for them, the poor people on that boat got a good view of our tail end.  We were way taller and broader than they were....



Someone paid the ransom and we were released. 




And into Lake Superior we went. 



Look at all these lovely people that came to wish us safe travels.  Three story observation tower.  The two ladies standing on the deck are two of the Magnificent Seven, Barbara and Joan.  Lovely.  Sure wish we were sitting and having a drink before dinner again.

Hey, we weren't in Lake Superior long, but I did get at least one picture in its waters.


It is a salvage boat.  I thought it very clean and well maintained for such a job, but what do I know?

While here we were treated to the Bushplane Museum.  No need to tell you of the importance of the bush pilots in the northern remote areas.  They are the lifeline for some of those folks.  One of our guest lecturers on board was from a small village in Alaska and actually flew a tail dragger.

Despite having been married to Walt for 50 years I still know squat about a plane. So random shots I took wandering aimlessly around the hangar, snapping what caught my interest.













I will never complain about being uncomfortable in a plane again!


A rare sighting for a Texan...seeing a plane give birth to a canoe.

There was so much information and beautiful exhibits, and it all made sense when I was there...but I have slept since then so sorry.

Outside was pretty to walk around and cool enough to do so (did I mention I was from Texas - lovely weather!)






Edison Water Treatment Plant



After an enjoyable visit with the planes we were off to the Heritage Center.


The Ermatinger Old Stone House has been completely restored to show the life of Charles Oakes Ermatinger and other residents between the years of 1808 and 1896.  The original property was 252 acres.

Before the completion of the railroad, Sault Ste. Marie was the edge between settled eastern Canada and the western portion that was still being explored and developed.  Mr. Ermatinger was a prominent player during that time especially fur trading.  I might add he had a good eye for building a beautiful building.

Next door is the Clergue Blockhouse that was relocated to the site in 1996, and was the home of industrialist Francis Hector Clergue from 1894 - 1908.



Interior shots of, again, things that caught my eye.








Outside the air was heavy with the aroma of lilacs in bloom.





Daddy loved to quote his version of a nursery rhyme "Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?   ' With silver bells and cockle shells and one damned petunia!'"  Well, I had to think about him when I found this one little flower (Phlox?) in the middle of all my lilac photos.


Too soon it was time to head back across the International Bridge (and through customs once again) and get ready for happy hour and dinner - do you see a trend here?

The International Bridge and what I saw traveling over it.







Wined, dined and tucked in for the night watching the sun go down. 





Loved the water.

Off to Mackinac Island for lunch at the Grand Hotel and a tour in a horse drawn buggy!




1 comment:

  1. Hello, Becci. Wonderful photos again. Mike & I have taken the Soo Locks boat tour into Lake Superior/Ontario...so you can imagine we were on the boat looking at the rear of your cruise ship! LOL! We didn't tour Ontario so I enjoyed learning more about points of interest in that city. The Ermatinger Old Stone House is beautiful and looks at sturdy as a fortress! Thank you for taking me along on this leg of your trip.

    ReplyDelete