About Me

My photo
Back Road Whispers is a fanciful name for just liking to travel the back roads of the world, wondering what whispers are lingering in the weathered buildings, rusty farm equipment and closed and boarded up businesses. I stop when I am able and “photograph the past for the future” so my grandchildren and their grandchildren will see what it was like back in the “good old days” of the 20th and early 21st century. Lately I have been exploring the world listening to whispers from palaces, castles, villages, and museums. The whispers need no interpretation.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Spring is in the air.....



This year Spring sneaked in through the back door, in between freezing temperatures and hot days.  When she did decide to show her face it was worth the wait.  Suddenly new growth started appearing, Bluebonnets started to bloom, peach and other fruit trees began to blossom, and once again I thanked God I live in Texas!

Scott and I are blessed to have a friend that loves to garden and luckily has a bright green thumb.  Not only do I occasionally reap the benefits of her vegetable garden but also get to take photographs of her flowers.  So after a yummy Springsgiving dinner she and I walked around her yard looking for the signs of Spring.











 While waiting for these signs of Spring I played around with Mom's Amaryllis and Orchid.  I think they both died .. due to being overworked. 



























One pretty day, I took my camera and headed to the dam. 

























The spot on the left is below the dam and there is a fishing dock there.  I do see fishermen occasionally but more often than not it is a family or a couple of workers taking a lunch break.

On the right is along a path on the lake side of the dam.  I liked that Mother Nature had placed a plant in one of her vases for us to enjoy. 



Our pasture is Bi-polar when it comes to Bluebonnets.  One year they will be everywhere, and the next we will have a sparse showing.  This year promises to be one of the banner years.  I saw promises to come about a month ago.






Last week I saw the early bloomers and plants everywhere.  Can't wait to see what this little bit of rain we have been having has done for them.  Next week should be fabulous!  


I do love my Bluebonnets.

The Evening Primrose are blooming too, but have difficulty telling time, because they bloom all day long.  Some are shy and hide behind plants and between rocks.




I did sneak in some retail therapy time with a friend.  Just a quick jaunt up to Fredericksburg and a stop at my favorite store...Da Peach Haus.  Stay away from Josh, the store manager, he can empty your bank account in a heartbeat showing you lots of goodies you decide you just have to have. 



I know you have seen the pond before, but here ya go again.  I loved the reflections this time since it was a still day instead of the ripples from the last time.

One of the things Marti and I didn't get to do last year due to circumstances beyond our control was to walk the dam on her birthday.  This year we met our friend Brenda and did it.  Since we hadn't thought to park a vehicle on the other side, and I wasn't sure my knees or Marti's short legs could do all the way across and back or not, we settled to going half way then turning around.  So that was .08 miles, and we found a marker for the next time...ten steps past that marker and find a new one.  Some day we will make it!

Happy 5th  birthday Baby Girl...you light up my life!



 We got to Overlook Park a little early so looked around a bit snapping random shots as they caught our interest.  The park itself is beautiful and restful.



The day was a bit overcast and the lake and sky met



There is lots to see from that vantage point.  The farmstead below, the spillway runoff, the valley and beyond.



















Brenda arrived and we started across the dam.  I gave her the leash since I wanted a shot of the birthday girl doing her thing.


There she goes....

 


Um, maybe not, that looks like a long way to me
 


 Hey, Mom, lets reconsider this idea....my legs are pretty short.



 A little encouragement from Mizz Brenda..



OK, if you say so....but I reserve the right to turn around at any point.

About halfway she noticed that there were intruders on the lake and had to tell them to leave immediately or face the consequences.  They wisely chose to leave.


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
That walk and guard duty built up a girl's thirst, so the three of us took off for Cup O' Joe for refreshing beverages along with a split three ways banana muffin.
 
 
 
Refreshed and with a lot of daylight left we took off for below the dam and the nature trail.  Once before Marti came down and found a "krockogator" so we had to see if it was still around.  It was but had lost it's lower jaw, so wasn't quite as intimidating as before.
 
 
Once we were sure we were safe from vicious Krockogators we toodled on down the path finding signs of spring along the way as well as a mystery or two.
 



 

One of the mysteries was this area of a gulley.  I thought it was where the soil was washed away from roots.  I got "the" look from Marti that only daughters can give mothers who are totally stupid and she patiently explained it was obviously a trap to catch Krockogators and I should stay away from it.  Not a problem.  There are lizards without legs down in that gully.  


Further on down the path was a tree that could use a little Proactiv help.  



And another tree that Marti's boyfriend, Eddie mi luff, is still questioning and wanting to know exactly who K is.....



Off I go to find more evidence that Spring is really here.  For all my northern friends, I hope it gets to you soon.

Marti has the right idea!


Remember to listen for the whispers of the back roads, they may be coming from the paths and trails as well as the road you are traveling.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I loved going on your walk with you, Becki! Spring surely has sprung in the Texas hill country! Your pictures are awesome as are your perspectives!

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain has washed away most of the snow so there is a glimmer of hope for Spring in my corner of the world. Enjoyed the hike and your fantastic pictures. Sending Love and Hugs! Ann

    ReplyDelete