About Me

My photo
Back Road Whispers is a fanciful name for just liking to travel the back roads of the world, wondering what whispers are lingering in the weathered buildings, rusty farm equipment and closed and boarded up businesses. I stop when I am able and “photograph the past for the future” so my grandchildren and their grandchildren will see what it was like back in the “good old days” of the 20th and early 21st century. Lately I have been exploring the world listening to whispers from palaces, castles, villages, and museums. The whispers need no interpretation.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

HAMBURGERS SERVED WITH A SIDE OF GRAY HAIR

Although Geocaching took us to Bracken, the hamburgers at The Bracken Store  keeps us coming back.  Come to think of it I am long overdue sinking my teeth into one of them....



It was originally named after an early settler, James Davenport.  By 1883 the  area had grown enough to warrant a post office.  The application was denied because there was already a Davenport, Texas.  However, when Googling Davenport, Texas to see where it was located I found a total of 3 Davenports in three different counties, so what was the big deal having a fourth?  Since the postal service and the community did think it was a big deal they renamed the townsite after William Bracken, which they should have done in the first place since he had lived there 20 years or so longer than Mr. Davenport.


 But back to the hamburgers.  Juicy, made to order by hand not a machine stamping out perfectly round patties.  With an order of Frings (Onion rings and fries) this half pound burger requires a take home box....unless you have preteen appetites!  My grandson Mr. T, places his order like this - "I would like the World's Greatest Hamburger, please."  No argument from me.



It takes two hands and a wide open mouth to handle one of these babies!  Can you believe they both wanted dessert after lunch??





While we were waiting for our food to be served (did I mention it was made fresh and to order?) Mr. T pointed toward the front and asked "what's that?"  

I saw nothing unusual and asked him "what?" 

"That thing there, the big thing with buttons...."

and that's when the gray hairs started popping....here is his discovery and the demise of every quarter I could find in my purse.




A couple of miles from Bracken Store is the Antique Rose Emporium...oh if that were my back yard I would think I had already made it to Heaven...GORGEOUS!!










Flowers were everywhere, in every color, every size, every height, but all were beautiful!





The flowers were grouped around, and in some cases growing up wooden supports, ornamental wrought iron, and decorating a trellis. 



The path through the trellis leads to a perfect spot to have a wedding, and many ladies have used this path as a bridal aisle.  Yo, Walt, wanna get married again?  










Even the garden sheds are beautiful.

I loved the fence around the one on the left. 



Look on the porch and you can see they are storing potting soil, fertilizer or something here. 






Also in Bracken is Bracken Village.  A collection of cute shops and businesses.  It also had a cache, but the time or day we went for the cache most of the businesses were closed, so we didn't get to wander around.




Down the back roads home, in this case Old Nacogdoches, I got run over by a train...well I would have if I hadn't stopped to take a picture right before it rumbled by.  


and a bit further down that road is two of my favorite things about Texas...bluebonnets and hamburgers on the hoof!


No comments:

Post a Comment